Tulare County Area Transit (TCaT) Dial-A-Ride Service is a coordinated and accessible “curb to curb” service designed to provide comparable Para transit service for ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) certified individuals with disabilities that prevent them from riding the TCAT fixed-route buses. In addition (TCaT) Dial-A-Ride provides same day service to the General Public (Non-ADA) passengers based on space availability.
Under the ADA regulations, there are three categories under which a person may be eligible for ADA Dial-A-Ride service:
- An individual with a physical or mental disability (including a vision impairment), and without the assistance of another individual (except the operator of a wheelchair lift or other boarding assistance device) to board, ride or disembark from any vehicle on the TCAT fixed-route system which is readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities.
- Equipment and/or stops on the TCAT fixed-route system are not accessible to a person in a wheelchair or a person using a mobility device such as a walker.
- An individual with a disability who has a specific impairment-related condition, which prevents the individual from traveling to a boarding location or from a disembarking location on TCAT fixed-route system.
The ADA Application
The ADA application consists of two parts. Part I must be completed by the applicant or a representative, and requests information specific to the applicant (name, address, disability limitations, mobility aids). Part II of the application must be completed by the applicant’s doctor, rehabilitation counselor, physical therapist, or other licensed professional who can provide information of the applicant’s disability. Eligibility will be based on the information provided in the application. Therefore it is important to take the time to fill out the form thoroughly. The completed application should be returned by mail to:
Attn: Albert Barragan Transit Manager
County of Tulare
5961 S. Mooney Blvd.
Visalia, CA 93291
Download an application in English ADA English Application.
Descarga la solicitud en Español ADA Spanish App.
ADA Application Review
Once an application is received, it will be reviewed by transit staff. A determination of your ADA eligibility status will be made within 21 days.
ADA Approval/Denial Process
Once a determination regarding eligibility status has been made, all applicants will be notified in writing and an appointment date/time set for the photo ID card to be completed.
Once an individual has been ADA certified to use the TCAT Dial-A-Ride service, a rider may schedule a trip for any purpose. To schedule a trip, call 1-800-431-9711. Once you have reached an operator, please be ready to give the following information:
- Passenger’s name
- Passenger’s phone number
- Passenger’s pick-up address, including apartment number, building number or specific directions.
- Passenger’s requested pick-up time. Based on the requested pickup time and the schedule of the vehicle, the reservation agent may negotiate a pick-up time with the individual that could be up to an hour before or after the desired pick-up time. When scheduling a pick-up for an appointment, it is helpful to advise the reservation agent of the appointment time.
- Passenger’s destination address
- Companions, children or Attendant who will travel with passenger
- Type of mobility aides or equipment (e.g., walker, wheel chair)
- ADA certification ID number
- Return pick-up time if needed (A return pick-up reservation is recommended for advance reservations to assure availability).
Monday – Friday 5:30 am to 7:00 pm
Saturdays –Sundays 9:15 am to 5:00 pm
Next day reservations can not be taken after 7:00 pm Monday – Friday; 5:00 pm on Saturday, and 5:00 pm on Sunday. If you have a question, calls will be answered until 7:00 pm Monday-Friday and 5:30 pm on Saturday and Sundays. Trip requests will be accommodated in the following priority order:
- ADA certified passengers
- Seniors/Non ADA certified disabled passengers
- General public
- Passengers traveling to the same location on a regular basis may establish a standing reservation. A standing reservation eliminates the need to call each time the person needs to travel and requires that a customer call only when they need to cancel a trip or need to adjust a pick-up time. ADA reservations may be made up to two (2) weeks in advance.
We will make every attempt to accommodate a rider’s requested trip time. However, the pick-up time being requested may not be available. The operator will suggest alternative times for your trip.